Tuesday, January 25

Apparent Cocktail


This one's a pleasant surprise.

Apparent Cocktail:
  • 1 oz. gin
  • 1 oz. Creme de Cacao
  • 1/4 tsp absinthe
Shake and strain into 3 oz. Cocktail glass.

As I said, I was expecting something bad to happen here, but was pleasantly surprised. The strong flavors in the gin and absinthe keep the bad flavors in the Creme de Cacao from becoming readily, ahem, apparent. But what we're left with is a chocolate aftertaste with none of the unpleasantness. A very intriguing cocktail that starts licorice and ends chocolate. And not too sweet, which is good. I think I may have found one legit use of my Creme de Cacao...

I even used my "bad" absinthe, expecting this to be dreck (hence, the light blue tinge), but since it's used in such a small amount, the only quality of the absinthe that comes through is the strong licorice taste from the anise, which is perfect for this absinthe since it's so...unrefined...that the anise flavor is super far forward as to overshadow any of the other flavors and it actually works well in this drink. The weakness when compared to a good absinthe is a strength in this drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment