Thursday, December 9

Alexander Cocktail No. 1


I'm sure we're going to get into a few of these, but this is the first in a drink family that has spawned drinks such as the Grasshopper and the Capri. I'm not sure if it has a name more profound than the "Alexander" family though, because that seems to be the standard. But before we get to the standard, we get this interesting concoction.

Alexander Cocktail No. 1:
  • 1 oz. Gin
  • 1 oz. Creme de Cacao
  • 1 oz. Cream
Shake well and strain into 4 oz. Cocktail glass.

I say interesting because I've never heard of any sort of "Gin" Alexander. This drink family is known for being very creamy, almost a dessert-cocktail family, mostly due to the presence of the cream, but gin is a new one. The Brandy Alexander is the standard, following which, this one seems just...interesting.

I will say this though, it almost doesn't matter. The botanicals of the gin are so far in the background that it almost might as well not even be there. Not balanced in that respect.

And the book calls for "1 oz. Sweet Cream" which puzzled the hell out of me until I did a quick Google search. Apparently, it's sweet cream as opposed to sour cream. Or, just "cream", by today's vernacular. I chose a standard cream (30% milkfat, to be precise), rather than heavy whipping cream (40%), simply because I didn't see the need, and it still provided a nice, smooth texture. Cream is a really interesting ingredient that I can't usually get behind, and I feel like for me, I needs to be very dessert-like for that consistency to make sense to my palate, which means it should also be way sweeter. An interesting cocktail, but probably not the best in the family.

1 comment:

  1. If you didn't know the Alexander nÂș1 is the original and came before the Brandy Alexander, you may see it in the I.B.A. books.

    ReplyDelete