Thursday, December 2

After Dinner Cocktail


First cocktail with Apricot brandy. I'll just say this: it is very difficult to pin down that particular ingredient, or even any of the various fruit brandies. There's something called Eau de Vie which is, I believe, apple brandy, then there's a pear brandy and a peach brandy. Then, in order to find what is considered to be Apricot brandy, I had to go to an apricot liqueur which is nothing more than Cognac (which is brandy, just from the Cognac region of France) and apricots. The French are oddly specific.

After Dinner Cocktail:
  • 1 oz. Apricot brandy
  • 1 oz. orange Curacao
  • 1/2 tsp. Lemon juice
Shake well and strain into 3 oz. Cocktail glass.

As per usual with shaken drinks, I double-strained this concoction. To me, 1/2 of a teaspoon seems to be a very scant amount of lemon juice, which is evidenced in the still fairly clear complexion of the drink. I won't say it's unnoticeable, but I could have used more. The little bit does help cut the extreme sweetness of the drink slightly, though again, I could have used more balance. Perhaps a more fitting name would be the Dessert Cocktail with all of the sugar. Very sweet (though not undrinkably so, but some might disagree), and very delightfully fruity (I really like the way that the apricot and orange flavors play together), but probably not going to make my regular rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment