Wednesday, December 1

Affinity Cocktail


So I know this looks really similar to everything else; I keep hoping to find the words "Garnish with...", but so far, nothing. But that's not really the end of the world, because I didn't really find this cocktail to be anything special.

Affinity Cocktail:
  • 3/4 oz. Scotch
  • 3/4 oz. Italian (sweet, red, whatever) vermouth
  • 3/4 oz. French (dry, white, etc.) vermouth
  • 2 dashes orange bitters
Stir with cracked ice and strain into 3 oz. Cocktail glass.

Scotch is hard to mix with because it has such an assertive, smoky flavor, but this isn't the way to do it, I don't think. Going 2:1 the opposite way with vermouths really does cover up the scotch, and the orange bitters makes things interesting at the end, but nothing shines here. It's very vermouth-y, which isn't really the end of the world (vermouth is delicious), but it didn't do much for me. I will say that, in most cocktails calling for scotch, you can save your money and just use a decent blend. No sense in pouring a $100 single-malt anywhere but into a highball with a little water or one huge ice cube.

What this cocktail does do is really illustrate what happens when you stir something vs. when you shake it: it comes out crystal clear. I'm not sure the picture really did it justice, but this drink did sparkle nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment