Sunday, August 30

The Parts-o-caster: Intro

So, I did something crazy a few weeks ago. I've had this Mexi-strat for about two years, but I never really liked it's sound. Maybe it was the wood, or the finish. Maybe it was the humbucker in the bridge position. Maybe it was just the fact that I can't play. That's always a possibility.

And so, foregoing any solution that involved putting actual work into getting better at guitar, I started buying parts to make a new Stratocaster. Now, as a quick aside, I really like a Strat. There's something undeniably cool about a guy playing one; it's iconic. But moreso than that, a Stratocaster signifies a beginning in terms of tone and options. Three uncomplicated single-coil pickups, tone knobs, and volume. Not as simple as, say, the Telecaster, but close. And a hell of a lot sexier.

Billy Corgan (I think it was Billy Corgan, not that I'm a huge 'Pumpkin's fan) said that a Stratocaster lets you be you. Clapton plays one. Mayer plays one. Hendrix played one. It's made inroads into every musical genre, even those traditionally dominated by other kinds of guitars, like country and metal. It's the AK-47 of the guitar world.

So, I figured I needed one. A guitar that would inspire me to play skillfully. A guitar that I could pick up and just feel the blues coursing through it. A guitar that, frankly, was timeless and would always be with me, even 70 years down the road when flying cars are the norm and robots are our overlords.

Sidebar: who's seen Back to the Future lately? I just watched the whole trilogy, holy crap, so much I missed when I was 6. Like how "Twin Pines Mall" becomes "Lone Pine Mall" after Marty runs over one of old man Peabody's pine trees? Brilliant!

So I want to take you on this journey. Come on along!